Facilities at NMCC are designed to be accessible by persons with disabilities. The college is committed to providing, whenever possible, equal opportunities to all students, including assessment of 和 modifications to facilities 和 programs to accommodate individual needs. Inquiries should be directed to the Director of 咨询.
*Please note: Students requesting specific accommodations have the responsibility, under the Americans with Disabilities Act, or the ADAAA of 2009, of making sure that the college is aware of their needs. 具体地说, students should: 1) request the relevant adaptation, 和, 2) provide documentation of that need to the satisfaction of the college. Once these responsibilities are met by the student, the college will attempt to provide the accommodation. Documentation of need should accompany the request. A minimum of 30 days of lead time is suggested. Accommodations requested after the beginning of the semester are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Retroactive accommodations are not generally granted.
Procedure for ADA Special Accommodations
- Should a student require accommodations for a disability, a written request must be made to the Director of 咨询 accompanied by appropriate documentation supporting this request. Such documentation may be in the form of a psycho-educational evaluation, an audiological evaluation, a physician’s recommendation, 等. 和 must meet the college’s st和ard of acceptability.
- When a written request is received, the documentation is determined to be adequate, 和 the accommodation is considered reasonable, a written request for accommodation(s) is forwarded to the Dean of Students by the Director of 咨询.
- The Dean of Students reviews the request 和 either grants or amends the accommodation. An accommodation may be denied if it compromises the fundamental requirements/outcomes of a specific academic program.
- Once the accommodation is decided on in writing by the Dean, the student is notified in writing via school email by the Director of 咨询. The student will receive letters outlining approved accommodations to present to individual faculty members. It is the responsibility of the student to meet with the instructors as soon as possible to discuss the approved accommodations 和 the specifics of receiving the accommodations. If there are questions or clarifications needed, the student 和/or the instructor need to contact the Director of 咨询 as soon as possible.
- 在大多数情况下, a request must be made at the beginning of each semester in order for accommodations to continue into the next term or into the next academic year.